Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Week of Culture

Saturday 6 December:  Van Gogh Exhibit at the Albertina
Leslie was gracious enough to stand in a long line with me to see Van Gogh on his last weekend in Vienna.  At one point during our 2.5 hour wait we were all cramming into a tent and we were so close that I literally just leaned on the people around me without having to carry my own weight.  Talk about inside the bubble!  The exhibit itself was pretty crowded, but it worked well for me because I was able to go at a slower pace without feeling like I was taking too much time.  When I checked the time after seeing everything I was shocked to find I had been perusing art for two hours.  I really enjoyed seeing Van Gogh's work up close.  There were many of his drawings which I think were my favorite.  It was interesting to see how he used shorter lines in his drawings instead of long flowing lines like I would have expected.  Some of his drawings looked like black and white photographs which may be why I liked them so much.  I also enjoyed looking at the colors and actual paint on some of his paintings, but I liked the drawings the best.  Definitely worth the wait!


Friday 12 December:  Mozart's Magic Flute at the Vienna State Opera
Last night Bekah and I went to the Opera for 3 Euro.  Granted we had to stand, but how can you pass up the opportunity to see a world class performance for 3 Euro?  I must admit to a moment of jealousy for those playing in the orchestra.  I've never been to the opera, but I really enjoyed it:  the atmosphere, the rich people in furs, the beautiful music.  I was wonderful to hear the perfect blending of the orchestra amongst themselves and with the operatic performers.  I'd definitely do it again.  
Sidenote:  While we were waiting in line we had the opportunity to hear a spontaneous "concert" from about 20 men also waiting in line.  They were in interesting uniforms with cowbells around their necks, but they sang quite well.  A great freebie.

No comments: