Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My first music student

I wasn't quite as prepared as I should have been.  I volunteered to give clarinet lessons this year since there were so many giving piano and I figured it would be nice to have a change of pace for the students.  My first student (of hopefully two) is little Daniel.  He's in first grade so that's an adventure in itself.  I got a book from Sandi Joy, our music teacher, and just flew by the seat of my pants.  Really...what is there to prepare...the kid knows nothing.  --Well truthfully I should say that he did take piano in Korea so he knows that an E is Mi.  A good start...I won't have to teach reading music in addition to the technique of playing--  We worked on putting the clarinet together and making a sound without the Dizzy Gillespie cheeks.  I figured that was enough of an assignment for next week.  We'll see how it goes.

No comments: